Tabs

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Holy Food!

My favorite month is one that is filled with social gatherings, shisha, procrastination, bad television and food.
Luckily, I don't need to fast, but for 30 days of Ramadan, my family and I are obliged to follow a 20-year-old tradition of having breakfast (Iftar) at my best friend's family house.
Despite the fact that I get to snack and nibble all day long, the one Ramadan phenomenon I can never escape is the giant Carb-Rush. You eat nothing all day, you're trying to focus at work, your body is craving any atom of food it can find and suddenly you pack on French fries pasta, rice and desserts. Then, you slowly shift your weight to the couch and while trying to keep your eyes open in front of the TV, people wonder and look at each other and say: "Why do I feel so sleepy?". The answer is simple: "You have probably just taken your pancreas on a Gluco-Roller Coaster and shocked it into Insulin insanity!".
I'm not a doctor or a professional nutritionist, but I do read a lot of random information on all that stuff. So, here is just my humble Ramadan tip for you: Eat slowly, eat sensibly, try to cut back on instant carb-overdoses - especially in combination with fat (i.e. Macarona Bechamel among other gratinated disasters). Remember, unlike those unfortunate Christian Copts, you have all the time in the world between 7:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. To eat whatever you want!
Have a happy Ramadan. :)

First Iftar this year. "Sha'areya bel Khalta" and "Kossa bel Lahma".. so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment