Tabs

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Flutter By Birdcage

Very few Asian restaurants in Cairo follow a true Far Eastern tradition in their menu. Birdcage at Semiramis Intercontinental, shines with Thai authenticity!
From the very start of waiting in the foyer and nibbling on the most sophisticated Thai canapés and amuse-bouches, I could tell that I was about to be taken on a very special culinary experience.

A signature appetizer assortment with matching dips had set a high standard for whatever was to come afterwards. The most impressive-looking part was the minced shrimp, which was cooked 'in & around' a stalk of lemongrass.



The Tom Yum soup was pretty good, though a lot milder in heat and flavor than when I had it Thailand. Then, we were presented with a selection of luscious mains. Scallops with Shiitake mushrooms, Lychee Beef Curry, Stir-fried Chicken and Pineapple Rice. The beef tenderloin pieces in the curry were not exactly bite-sized, but I could easily grab them with chopsticks and bite through them without the need for a knife! (Mind you, my teeth have very week cutting power.) The scallops were cooked to perfection and the vibrant rice provided a nice balance to the table.


 


For dessert, I felt both; lost and amazed at the same time. The selection of exotic Asian fruit along with the Tapioca pudding and the sorbet were beautifully presented. I wasn't too sure what exactly I was eating at some point, but it was definitely more than just eye-candy. Gorgeous!


No comments:

Post a Comment